Thursday, July 10, 2008

Zoysia Project 2008 (July 2008)



Well......I cannot even DESCRIBE for you how many hours and hours have gone into this picutre!! Jonny sprayed all the weeds with Round-Up, had a neighbor plow it all up in June, and then Jonny tilled it all by hand. (This is about 9,500 square feet.) Then he worked lime into it, raked it all by hand, and then planted the Zoysia seed. Lastly he rented a handy-dandy roller tool for $18 to flatten and smooth it all out.
Jonny has set up a pretty cool irrigation system with several sprinkler heads, timers, hoses, etc...It is on a tandem cycle that runs about 3 times a day, I think. (Good thing we don't pay for water!!!) He used it while we were in Texas....and it sure did the trick!! There is grass EVERYWHERE.....we are just not sure much of it is Zoysia yet!! :) But it will be!
He planted about 5,000 square feet of Zoysia seed last year....and it worke beautifully! Maybe next summer we will have a big ole back yard!!!
I cannot tell you how proud I am of Jonathan!! He has worked COUNTLESS hours on this!!
My daddy would be proud!! :) And so would his dad!! :)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure hope you are rewarded for all your hard work, Jonathan. Sounds like you have true farming blood in you the way you worked the land. I know you will have a beautiful yard. And, yes, John says he is very proud of you!
Love, Mom

Jessika said...

Oh wow! Thats too cool. I didn't actually understand the size of the yard until just now. Haha. Well according to the blog, it should be done by the time he can walk, perfect timing, right?

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!

The mighty gardner is never bored. :) You're doing a great job, Prince of Sod and Zoysia! Everything looks great! I can't wait to bring my boys over and run all over it with your little boy and play some tackle football!!!

Love ya!!

AL
"I'm here to serve!" :)