Friday, December 10, 2010

Email from California----October 20, 2010

There was a delay in the attorney arriving, so we did not sign anything until closer to 
noon.  It all went smoothly, but the whole process of signing with Sarah, the attorney, 
the hospital social worker, and us took over two hours!  That surprised me.  

After the signing, I had a chance to talk to Sarah (just the two of us).  She asked me, 
"Are you all just sooo happy?!!"  And I told her absolutely!!
She smiled and said, "I can see it all over your faces.  It is obvious you love her 
and are so full of joy."  

Then she began to cry.

"I've never made anyone happy before,"  she said, "This is my very first 
time.  I feel like I have finally gotten something right."

Then we were both crying.  (as you may be too!)

I assured her that not only had she made the two of us so happy, but that she had made a 
whole community of people happy.  Family and friends in Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, 
Alabama, Illinois, Florida, Georgia.......so many were celebrating her decision!  So many 
loved her because she had given us Joy!   I assured her that Joy was already one of the 
best loved babies in the South! I told her that our relationship (with Sarah) was sealed 
with her from this moment on...and that she too was now family.  Then I got to tell her 
about the love Jesus has for her...and how He loves her so....and how God gave His son so 
that we could experience True and Everlasting JOY!  She nodded.  She knew the 
story....but I when I went on to explain the unconditional love, grace, and mercy that 
Christ offers, she just wept uncontrollably.  

Sarah's mom was with her the entire time at the hospital.  Precious lady!  She was 
adopted out of foster care at age 14, and just loves the fact that Joy will have  sweet 
home from the very beginning of life.  She just thanked us over and over and over for 
taking her granddaughter.  She was so happy to know that we loved Jesus and that Joy 
would always have a church home and a community of people that loved her.  She kept 
saying, "We just can't give her that."  

We talked about pictures, letters, etc...and exchanged contact information.  Sarah asked 
if she could sent Joy gifts from time to time, and if it was okay to write her back after 
I sent updates.  Of course, I said yes!   Sarah talked about how ready she was to go 
home....and that she was so hopeful that this could be the start of something new....She 
said she wanted Joy to be proud of her. I told her that she was off to a great start!!

We all wanted pictures of Sarah and Rose with baby Joy, but Sarah wanted to wait until 
she was out of her hospital gown and back into regular clothes...so we had to wait with 
her until her staples were removed.  We go a few really sweet ones...i will attach those 
to the next email.  This one was getting full.

We all left the hospital about the same time...around 4 p.m.  (6 p.m. central).

Jonny and I were starving, so we took Joy out to Olive Garden.  (Sisters-in-law---I 
confess, I used the gift card we got back on Labor Day! I will owe us all dessert!!)  :)
Dinner was great (even though we felt silly eating at 4 p.m.).  Then we went to the mall 
in Arcadia, California (suburb of LA) to buy a map of California!  :) and to book a hotel 
on Priceline.  

We are staying at the Doubletree Inn (for a crazy-cheap price for LA!!) Unfortunately, 
there is no refrigerator in our little room, so our breakfast and lunch hopes of eating 
cereal and turkey in the room don't look so good....!  The bottled water I am staring at 
costs $7--so I am assuming they will not be giving away muffins for free either!

So....the adoption bill creeps up!  We were also informed today that we may be 
responsible for the three-day hospital stay for baby Joy.  (No word on if they will be 
charging us for our room....)

We were told today by the attorney that he was hopeful we could be home by Monday!  
(Joann--I know this causes a problem with the flights....and I know there was nothing 
available on Sunday or Monday.....We will work something out!  No worries.  Do check 
Saturday flights, just in case.)  Currently we are booked to fly home on Tuesday, but of 
course we booked those not knowing when in the world we would be allowed to leave the 
state!

Pray that paperwork in California and Mississippi go quickly and smoothly so that we can 
get home soon!

But not too soon.......I have to find Amy Grant's star on Hollywood Blvd!!  :)

Pray for sunshine for us...it has been dreary and rainy and cool the whole time!  Not 
what we expected!

Love you all dearly!  Joy is doing great--eating 2 oz every three hours.  She eats WAY 
better than Jack ever did!  

Love you!  Thanks for your prayers and words of love and encouragement!  They mean so 
much!  Wish you could be here...it is a bit sad doing this alone with just the three of 
us.

Oh!! I just realized it is three a.m. in the morning here!!  That means it is 5 a.m. in 
Memphis!  Keri is supposed to be at the hospital for her induction RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!!  
How wonderful!!  So excited for you!!

Y'all say a prayer for sweet Keri, Andrew, and baby Hugh too!!

Julie

No comments: