Sunday, January 27, 2008

Abrazo Orientation Weekend (Jan 25-26)

Well, here we are with our new friends in San Antonio, Texas!! Can you believe we are here??!!

We were one of eight couples here. Three have already adopted children through Abrazo, the other 5 couples are "newbies." The first night we sat in a circle and talked about our stories.......Newbies first. Of course, that part is easy for me---talking. Jonny did great too! The head "Abrazo Chick"--Elizabeth--encouraged us to start acting like we were pregnant.........start telling everyone, get your nursery ready, register, etc....... She was very inspiring.....and for the first time it really began feeling real. I got a little emotional and began to get very excited. This is really the first time I have let myself get even a teensy bit excited!!
After a small break, the "againers" gave their stories. All of them LOVE Abrazo and could not stop talking about how wonderful the girls are! (I should tell you that all the Abrazo girls left the room when the againers talked---that way they would be candid.) The stories these couples had to tell ripped my heart out......and made this excited girl sober up. This is certainly going to be a roller coaster ride.....but I love roller coasters. I've paid big money to go to a few in my life. This one will certainly be the most expensive by far, but I have a feeling it will be the most worth it. Several (including Space Mountain at age 10) have brought me closer to God through my prayers begging Him to let me get off alive ......and I know for fact this one will certainly bring me closer to God....no matter what the journey or outcome is like. And for that, it will be all worth it. The stories tonight included failed adoptions, children that had to be returned, a terminally ill child, birth parents that took advantage, attorneys that were not honest, and several more tragedies...........But they are all back..........because they said it was all totally worth it!! It scares me to death....but I know that everything in life that is wonderful usually is hard.
Keep praying.......we have alot to learn and alot of growing to do!
And pray for our baby...he or she is very likely alive and growing inside of someone who is about to go through some of the hardest days of her life......Pray for her too!
Here we are after dinner on the last night...after a LONG DAY! Wow! Talk about information overload!! What a day! We got to meet an adoptive parent and a birthparent, we traveled to the Abrazo office, we visited Abrazo housing (for the birthmoms), toured the local hospital's birthing area, practiced talking on the phone so we will be ready to say the right things when prospective birthmoms call, (acutally, we were learning how to not say the wrong thing....), learned about what all the money goes to, learned lots of legal language, discussed our "Dear Birthmom" letters, planned our Adoptive Parent Profiles, and said our goodbyes........after a nice, big Mexican Dinner, of course!
What a worthwhile trip!! I feel so much more educated---and so uneducated at the same time! We have a tall order ahead of us.......they want us to have the rest of our paperwork in, our homestudy started, our profiles finished and copied ten times, and $8,000 to them in the next 10 days. February 5th is very close....... !!
They still have not received our application......and we had to write another check for the fees. Pray that little package arrives fairly soon! It's getting me nervous!!
We will leave sometime tomorrow........not sure if we will sightsee at all or not......We have so much to do!
I think we are going to be spontaneous and drive home a different way---through Houston, Louisiana, and up through Mississippi. We may take a small detour in Southern Mississippi to see the Jefferson Davis house (Rosemont)......the house ours is patterned after. We hope to be in Lake Charles, Louisiana tomorrow night, and home on Monday evening.This is Elizabeth--The head Abrazo chick! And below are some of the other Abrazo chicks!! They were amazingly helpful, informative, candid, and encouraging!


Here are some of our group members role playing how to talk on the phone!
The Abrazo chicks had cupcakes to wish me a happy January Birthday!! We got a little silly with them!! (It had been a long afternoon!!)Here we are touring one of the Abrazo housing apartments for the expectant mothers.
Here we are in the hospital, learning how to assist our birthmom when she is in labor and other hospital ettiquite.
And, of course more eating!! We really enjoyed our time with these fun and wise people!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! One week after mailing in your application, you are in San Antonio learning all about what is expected of you while you are expecting! We are excited and keep you and all those involved in our prayers.
Love, Mom and Dad

Amy T. S. said...

Sweet! Dyna sent me over. We adopted in '06 from Buckner in Dallas.

Rollercoaster? Oh, yes! Fun fun.

Daniel and Christy Davis said...

We are so excited for you! Let us know if you need anything along the way!

Love, Daniel, Christy, Hannah, and Benjamin!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip home...our plane flight got canceled, so we toured The Alamo, etc. Nice meeting you and give us a call soon so we can get together.

Philip and Renee

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I didn't know you were thinking about adoption. That is so wonderful. I look forward to hearing more in the future. I will be praying for you guys.

Jennine

Julie Dickson said...

Hey, there--what exciting news...I know that the waiting has been hard and I know that it probably will continue to be hard. I will continue to pray for you both. I know God has the perfect little one for you both. Love you!

THE WHITE HOUSE said...

We are so excited for y'all! You will continue to be in our prayers as well as the precious little one God is preparing for you! I absolutely can't wait to meet Baby Davis! You two are going to be the greatest parents! What a blessed baby he/she will be to have your faith, love, guidance and wisdom! Shane is looking forward to having a playmate from Texas!!! Love y'all!!!

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for you! We have been praying and will continue to pray and know God knows what great parents you will be, so he will select a wonderful little one to be loved and nourished by you. We love you so very much!
Grandma & Grandpa

Anonymous said...

I can't really see the computer for the tears in my eyes! I am soooo excited for you both. I know that you have waited a long time to be parents and I also know the process is really just beginning. I know a little bit about the adoption process from when Kathy & Kevin were trying to adopt. I know that it can be trying at times. But I also know that you will both be WONDERFUL parents. I have faith that God will bless you with exactly the child(ren) that He knows you will love and raise to love Him as you both do! I will keep you in my prayers as you always are!
Love, Robbin

Jonathan and Julie Davis said...

Thanks, everybody!! We are very excited---and very worn out from all this work!! But I am sure it will be completely worth it....and I'm sure we will do it again!!

Keep us in your prayers!!

Julie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.