Friday, September 01, 2006

Long Time No Blog!!

So sorry for the long gap in blog updates!! To say that things have been busy would be a criminal understatement! Jonny and I were both looking ahead and commenting that we can't wait for a weekend with no plans!!!

August was great! School started with a week of inservice beginning on August 7th. Westminster surely knows how to do inservice! We had great sessions, great conversations, and great food! (We also watched a very strange, yet thought-provoking little Woody Allen movie.) During that week, I finished up on my room and really began hitting the books!! The next Monday was "Meet-the-Teacher-Day." Jonny and I got to meet our students at during a "drop-by-for-a-few-minutes" afternoon. To our delight, we had surprise "drop-in" guests arrive before any students did---Christy (Davis, Daniel's wife), their daughter Hannah, and Christy's parents stopped by Westminster on their way to Nashville from Oklahoma! Hannah was adorable, and although she preferred her Uncle Jonny to her Aunt Ju Ju, I am POSITIVE she saw potential in me for a great relationship later on down the road. They only stayed a few minutes..... but it was certainly the highlight of the day!!

The students came for their official first (half) day of school that Wednesday the 16th. I was very nervous---even though I had already met the kids---because I always get nervous on the first day of school.....But within ten minutes, I felt at home and realized that 6th grade kids aren't that old---or scary!! (I kept thinking of Jacob Zinkula and Danny Martin--from St. Norbert--they don't seem to scary!!)

I really love all 12 of my students--they are very bright and very fun! (However, if one of my sweet kids from St. Norbert walked through the door right now I would just cry and squeal with joy!! I really, really miss them! Sara (my teaching partner in Chicago) and I have already talked several times---just because we miss each other so much!!!)

Jonathan, Andrew, Lizzie, and I ride in to school together every day. {Keri (and Anna) have been feeling a little left out!} Even though we are all in the same building, we usually don't see each other until it is time to get back in the car and go home! Then we go home to eat an incredible dinner prepared by Keri, play with the 3 cutest girls in Mississippi, study our lessons for the next day, eat dessert, and then go to bed--almost always too late!

Last weekend Jonny and I drove to Kentucky for his fantasy football draft with the boys on my side of the family and for the bridal shower for my cousin, Laura. We had a really fun time seeing my mom and dad, my grandmother, my aunt and cousins, all of my sisters, their husbands, and kids! Mom, as always made fabulous meals and desserts! We could not believer how SHORT three hours feels in the car when you are used to 7-8 hours!!

Tonight we are driving to Nashville for ANOTHER fantasy football draft with Jonny's brothers. We have not been to see Jonny's family in Mt. Juliet since Grandmother passed away in February! (That was the week we were filling out our applications for Westminster!! The beginning of all that excitement!!!) unfortunately, Adam and Melanie will not be there this time--however, when they were in Nashville a few weekends ago, they too stopped by to see our school, to see us, and to have lunch!

Well....I guess I better close! Recess will be over in a few minutes!

Love y'all!

Julie

No comments: