Saturday, August 05, 2006

Hello from Mississippi

I am writing to you from the Smith home (our home) in Slayden, Mississippi. Today was declared, "The Day Aunt Ju Ju will Finally Play With Us" day! So, I have been in the floor the majority of the day playing Strawberry Shortcake jigsaw puzzles, Polly Pockets, Care Bears, Doll House, Sand Box, Art Center, and mask making. We even had peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch! Lizzie and Anna have been very determined to get Aunt Ju Ju to play with them since we got back home earlier in the week. The problem is, I have been leaving the house at 6:45 a.m. to go and work in my classroom. Most days I have not gotten back in time or have just not had the energy to play. But today, I have enjoyed being a playmate captive.

My classroom is coming along nicely....I think. This week I am sure Teri Holland (my very competent and kind boss) will be coming by my room to make sure it is taking shape. I am concerned that it looks to "kiddish" for 6th grade, so I have been to school everyday we have been back trying to make it is"mature." I am already enjoying Westminster very much. I have met SO MANY people this week at school....I am sure I won't remember half of their names! I have been presented with a few challenges, but God is teaching me to surrender early!

While working in my classroom, I have been listening to the new Caedmon's Call Worship CD (which I HIGHLY recommend). It has an updated version of "I Surrender All" on it. It has been my inspiration this week-----Surrender Early! I can spend lots of time these days being overwhelmed by all the changes! I made the comment earlier this week to Jonathan that the only things that seem normal are our clothes and our car! (And our clothes will be changing very soon since we both have to wear dress clothes to work. Yes--Jonny will be in a tie everyday and I will be in dresses and skirts!) Anyway--Surrendering it all to God has been the key to my sanity this week. (Thanks to Connie Zinkula for encouraging me to Surrender Early!) A new home, two new jobs, a new town, two new states, new churches, new friends, new co-workers, new expenses, new insurance, new grocery stores, new roads, new state troopers, new clothes, new responsibilities, new challenges, new humidity (which causes new hair), new oppressive heat, new everything........But fortunately, we are going through it all with our sweet OLD friends!!

Speaking of dress clothes, I have been having a crash course in "which-tie-matches-which-shirt" from Andrew and Keri. This is an entirely new dimension in fashion for us. We will be going out later today to purchase a few pants and shoes for Jonny's wardrobe, so pray for us as we make some difficult color decisions. :)

Well, I better get back to being Aunt Ju Ju! This is our first weekend since we moved here on July 3 that we have all been home on the weekend together! We are having a great time! It has been great to be here with Andrew and Keri and the girls.

I will write again next week! Love y'all!

Julie

P.S. Jonny and Al had a great time on Monday at the Titans training camp! They were mere feet from some of their favorite athletes! Also, we have not heard back from the comps yet...Keep praying for our nervous tummies!

4 comments:

Scott & Joann said...

I hadn't thought about what a big transition you guys are going through. I remember the "new" everything in all the times I have moved- though it can be exciting, it can be quite nerve-racking as well. I'm praying for you guys!

Austin is walking around like he's been doing it for years. You won't recognize him when you see him! :)

love you,
Joann

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! This is sooo cool. Today is Saturday, August 12, and I am just now finding out about your Blog. My computer at home is broken and I go to the library every few weeks. (I still have the same email though.) I am so excited for you both and pray that Jonny's tests turn out great. Julia has started 6th grade!! Kim and I moved our membership to Trace Creek last month, so Rachel and Luke are becoming playmates in the nursery. Bryan is preschooling at home with Mommy and having a blast. He says, "I want to learn everything." Can't wait to read more, it's almost like talking to you.

Love you bunches,

Robbin

Daniel and Christy Davis said...

Hey Aunt JuJu,

Have you guys started school? I love having your blog to check in with you on! Hope school is going well. We are in Little Rock - we will drive through Memphis tomorrow! I will think of you! Wish we could stop by but you will probably be at work! We will see you very soon!

Love,
Christy and Hannah

P.S. I LOVE peanut butter and honey sandwiches!

Al and Jen said...

Hey Julie and Jonathan!!
I have been meaning to call you all week to see how the first week of school is going. I have been praying for both of you!! (and Lizzie)
We love you!!
Jen, AL, Luke & John David